From the Editors at Netscape
Despite what the fashion industry thinks, the average clothing size in the United States is not a svelte 8 for women and a 40 regular for men. The average women's size is 14, the size at which "plus-sized
" clothing begins. And the average size for men is 44.
*Some prices may be higher than than those in the article.
We're bigger not only in weight and height, but also just about every measurement in between, according to the new SizeUSA survey, a first-of-its-kind look at our measurements that has been taken since World War II, reports The New York Times, which published the results. Sponsored by various clothing and textile companies, the Army, the Navy, and several universities, the survey of 10,000 people in 13 cities nationwide used a light-pulsing 3-D scanner to take 240 body measurements from tip to toe. (No fudging in this survey!)
Let's size up some fascinating facts as reported by The New York Times:
- 64 percent of women are pear-shaped, while 30 percent are "straight," which means they have little perceptible waist.
- Black women have larger measurements than other women, but they are most likely to have the classic hourglass shape.
- Women over 36 are the most likely to have bigger hips.
- Black women older than 55 have smaller hips than those ages 45 to 55.
Shop Plus Size clothing
for women: Plus Size Dresses
| Plus Size Jeans
| Plus Size Lingerie
| More Plus Size Clothing
The fashion industry assumes these standard measurements for a woman: 35-inch bust, a 27-inch waist, and 37.5-inch hip. In the real world, women ages 36 to 45 actually average:
- Older men have trimmer thighs than younger men.
- 19 percent of men are considered portly.
- An additional 19 percent of men have "lower front waists." (That means they have to look under their belly to find their waist.)
- Men who are over 45 are the most likely to have bellies.
Shop Big & Tall clothing
for men:Big & Tall Shirts
| Big & Tall Dress Pants
| Big & Tall Jackets
| More Big & Tall Clothing
The fashion industry assumes the average man is a traditional 40 regular, which means 40-inch chest, 34-inch waist, and 40-inch hip, with a 15.5-inch collar. In the real world, men ages 36 to 45 actually average:
About 51 percent of men and 38 percent of women said they were "about the right weight" when asked their perception of how much they weighed. Meanwhile, 10 percent of men and 21 percent of women faced the truth and acknowledged they were "quite a bit overweight."
Read more from AOL Shopping
: Plus Size Lingerie
, 6 Things Women Over 40 Shouldn't Wear
, Discount Ugg Boots
, Fashion for Men Over 40